Oh I still use some of the email lists, I have some very dear friends there, but blogging has become my best venue for journaling my thoughts and my irritations with life, both in general and sometimes very specific.
Today I discovered (thank you Plurk friends!) ThursdayThirteen.
With yet another hurricane setting its sights on South Florida, I thought I'd offer my list of:
Thirteen Things I Need to Do to Prepare for Ike
1. Check our hurricane supplies and make a list of what needs to be refilled or replaced.
2. See that both cars have full tanks of gas. Even after our experience with Wilma three years ago, not all service stations have generators to run the pumps.
3. Withdraw a decent amount of cash from the ATM and tuck it away for the days after the storm. (See number 2, the ATM's need electricity as well.)
4. Wash clothes and especially towels. There's that pesky lack of electricity problem again.
5. Find a card deck or two, including UNO. Replace if need be.
6. Charge all of the rechargeable batteries for the camera and the old school MP3 players. The iPods will eventually die and there won't be a way to recharge them.
7. Print out a list of phone numbers for online friends.
8. Print out info on exactly how to post by phone to Live Journal and Twitter. Maybe Plurk, too.
9. Designate a few online friends to post updates to various places once we're in the all clear. Text messaging saved my sanity in the three weeks following Wilma when we had no power and no land line.
10. Which reminds me, I need a car charger for this phone. It's only a little over a year old, post-Wilma.
11. The last items are bigger and more difficult. Mostly, it involves securing our house. This entails covering the windows and bringing inside anything that has the potential to become airborne in 135+mph winds.
12. I need books. I will dust off some paperbacks that I've had sitting around for a while, and I might take a trip to my favorite second hand book exchange store. LuAnne Rice books, in case you were wondering.
13. M&M's. Yes, M&M's. My very shallow, guilty indulgence, hurricane comfort food. Diets don't exist when you're playing 5 Card Stud by candlelight, and in a pinch they can be used instead of pennies or poker chips. Best of all? The winner can eat their earnings!
The best that we can do is prepare for the worst and hopefully, rejoice if we are spared. The worst that we can do is ignore the God-given days of advance planning time that we have.
See you next Thursday.
Want to read more? Click!







2 comments:
Great list. I live in the north and have not had personal experience with hurricanes. Although my daughter who lives in Georgia had a scary experience with Fay. Mus be a frightening thing to go through.
Wow. You and I are on the same page, although I was getting ready for Hanna. You can find MY hurricane prep list on my blog, drop by and say hi :)
Post a Comment